This Family Helpline is a safe number that can’t be traced and won’t appear on the phone bill. The line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can speak to someone who will talk with you about the options you have. You can also find out where you can get confidential help near you. If you are a teen and fear you might be pregnant, please don’t wait. Call now. Sponsored by the Family Helpline and Parents Anonymous of NJ, Inc.

How Can You Tell?

Early Pregnancy

  • late period
  • nausea
  • tiredness
  • cramping

Late Pregnancy

  • no period for 5-6 months
  • abdominal swelling
  • unexplained weight gain
  • a sensation of moving in the abdomen

When can youth under 18 consent to treatment?

In most situations, a parent must consent to any medical treatment for a child, from routine medical care to more serious treatment or emergency care. Under some circumstances, however, a minor may consent to his or her own treatment without consent of the parent. In these special circumstances, the individual’s right to privacy outweighs the parents right to make decisions on behalf of the child.

Parental consent is not needed for a minor to obtain:

  • Treatment for venereal disease or sexual assault
  • Treatment for HIV/AIDS if the minor is at least 13 years old and thinks s/he may be infected
  • Contraceptives or abortion
  • Pregnancy services or prenatal care
  • Treatment for drug or alcohol abuse

In some circumstances, even though parental consent is not needed, the doctor may notify the parent that treatment has been provided.

  • State law requires a minor’s parents to be notified if the minor seeks treatment for sexual assault, unless the doctor believes it is in the best interests of the minor not to do so.
  • Parental notification is not required for other treatment to which the minor may consent, such as pregnancy-related treatment, abortion or contraceptives.
  • If a doctor or other medical personnel believe that it is necessary; however, they may notify the parent of a minors treatment without the consent of the minor, even over the objections of the minor.

Treatment for drug or alcohol dependency creates some special circumstances:

  • A minor may consent to treatment for alcohol abuse that is provided not only by a doctor but also by a licensed or certified alcohol abuse counselor.
  • Treatment for drug and alcohol abuse is considered confidential, and neither the minor, nor his doctor, treatment provider or facility shall be required to report such treatment.
  • Although a minor may consent to drug or alcohol treatment, treatment programs are not required to admit minors and may set their own admission criteria, which may include parental notification and involvement.